Filed under Club Spotlight

The dynamics of Debate

Clubs have been a part of the American education system for decades. According to publicagenda.org, 62 percent of high school students participate in clubs. This number could potentially grow if more students knew about offered clubs because students cannot join a club if they do not even know it exists. The Debate Team allows students from all grade levels to come together on various topics such as medical autonomist choices for adolescents.

One thing students may not know is that the Debate Team can be put on your record for colleges to see in the future. Junior Apara Manuja has just started her third year with the Debate Team and believes her experience will pay off. “Colleges love to see clubs on your record; it shows that as a student, you get involved with your school,” said Manuja.

One club gaining attention from the incoming freshmen is the Debate Team. The Debate Team is a way to not only get involved more with the school, but also a way to share your ideas with other students who may or may not have the same viewpoint as you. “Having debates are fun because you get to represent both sides of the argument,” said Manuja. “The Debate Team is a fantastic way to interact and compete in competitions with people from other schools. The best debates are always the ones with our rival schools, Wakefield and Yorktown.”

The students interested in the club, whether if they have been on the team in previous years or just joining, seem to really have a great time with that. “I never really considered joining a club when I first started the school year, however, the Debate Team has really sparked my interest,” freshman Greta Engel said. “I think it is a cool way to get involved while simultaneously hanging out with friends.”

The Debate Team meets every Monday and Thursday after school in room 4209 at 3:15 P.M. “If you are looking to join a club, join the Debate Team,” said Manuja. “Our discussion topics range greatly on topics, so it is more than likely you will be able to argue a topic you are passionate about.”