Filed under News

Focus on General’s Brigade

Senior Sally Ancheva is a valued team player of the General's Brigade.

Ever since their inception in the late 19th century, “Friday Night Lights,” otherwise known as high school football games, have become an American tradition. Created by seniors Marisa Shotwell and Abby Anderson, the General’s Brigade hopes to contribute all they can to the “Friday Nights Lights” experience.

Anderson and Shotwell wanted foster a more united school community by creating the brigade. “School spirit is really important to me, and I’ve grown up with a ‘Friday Night Lights’ view of football games,” Shotwell said. Anderson seemed to have similar motivation in joining as well. “I had a lot of school spirit, and I wanted others to start getting more spirited about the school,” Anderson said.

The General’s Brigade cheers on numerous sporting activities. They have gathered crowds for events such as ice hockey, swim and dive, basketball, football, and baseball. When asked what the most exciting sport to cheer for was, Ancheva said, “Basketball is probably the most fun to cheer at since it’s indoors and it can get very loud, very quickly. It seems to get more people engaged and keep the attendance rates of the game’s up.” Ancheva, is actually a valuable part of the school’s volleyball team.

The General’s Brigade has created many incentives for students to get involved. One of the problems the brigade was running into the most was repeating themes, however senior Sally Ancheva says they have a plan for that.“We figured out all the themes before the year even started and are taking more popular opinions from the student body, not just seniors,” Ancheva said. “We have a lot more enjoyable themes for the community to partake in.” Incentives include a free General’s Brigade t-shirt, free body paint for themed games such as the recent “America Out” and free spirit items for the first students who show up. They, also, inform the student body about themes through Twitter, such as last week’s “White Out.” “[The themes] really bring us together during games and activities,” Anderson said.

It is a way for students from all different grade levels to get together for a common reason. Students are allowed to give suggestions on new themes and ideas that they have for the Brigade. However all of those ideas do happen to come with a price. While funding may be an issue, the members of the General’s Brigade always seem to get by while still giving everyone a good time.“The goal of the General’s Brigade is to foster one identity that every student can become a part of.” Shotwell said. In the end it is up to the people to decided if it is a price worth paying.

They have been seen at a every football game, so the General’s Brigade has become a trending topic of conversation throughout the school, maybe it is because they always find ways to get the crowds attention. “Even if you’re not the biggest sports fan, going out to all the games makes them more enjoyable,” said Shotwell. “As long as you’re going out, [The General’s Brigade] will include you.”