Filed under News, Top Stories

Yorktown bomb scare

Tester photo

Tester photo

On September 25 around 12:45 P.M, Yorktown High School had a short scare when a computerized voice called into the main office reportedly saying, “I have a bomb on me.” The call prompted the school to be evacuated according to Arlington County Police Department (ACPD) spokesman Dustin Sternbeck.

Once receiving the threat, the principal took immediate action by pulling the fire alarm to evacuate the building as fast as possible. Freshman Ben Koomey was in the middle of geometry when the alarm went off, “To get all of the people out of the building quickly, the principal had gone to a fire alarm.” The entire school evacuated in less than 10 minutes and due to the fire alarm being pulled, students were not notified on what had actually happened until after everyone was on the field. “Nobody understood what was going on, since we already had our weekly fire drill. They quickly moved us outside to the field, where we waited for about 2 hours.” Koomey said. Once the students had gotten out onto the field, they had reported seeing bomb sniffing dogs canvas the area.

The police officers hadn’t discovered a bomb in the school or on anyone. Staff and students were cleared to re-enter the school and carry on with the rest of the day.

As the morning turned into the afternoon, it was discovered that a second bomb threat had been called into Buckland Mills, a Prince Williams County elementary school, by a similar voice repeating the same message. “It was a very weird scene, like it was straight out of a movie. You always hear about other schools having issues like this, but never come to think about it happening to your own.” Koomey said. Typically, the areas that are targeted in this area include the malls and monuments. Koomey also added, “I felt safe since the people who search for the bombs were already there. Everyone had come to the realization of what happened since word had spread.” Throughout the events that took place on Friday, nobody was hurt.

Police are still searching for the perpetrator that sent the calls into Yorktown and Buckland Mills. The Arlington County Police Department has released no further information on the incident.