Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Big 50

billboard.com

billboard.com

This years’ Super Bowl held on Sunday, February 7, at Levi’s Stadium was one for the books. Not only did the game break the online streaming record, but it also included various halftime performances from Coldplay and surprise guests, Bruno Mars and Beyoncé.

The Broncos managed to take home the win for Denver, with a score of 13-7 at halftime and an overall score of 24-10. The Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, was shown throughout the game rewatching recent strategies the Carolina Panthers used. Many experts had expected Cam Newton and the NFC champions to take home the win for Carolina, but got their predictions proved wrong. “I was very surprised by the outcome of the game,” said freshman Alex Canfield. “Especially since Cam Newton had performed so well in previous games.”

Aside from the football game itself, the halftime show caught the attention of many viewers. The main act of the night, Coldplay, kicked off the show with the song, “Viva la Vida” as fans crowded around him on the field. The energy from the scene became even more intense when pop artist Bruno Mars, was introduced and sang “Uptown Funk.” Followed by Coldplay’s performance of  “When I Ruled the World” as Beyoncé took over and marched onto the field with an army of dancers.  Beyoncé’s performance contained many bold references that created a controversy. Beyoncé’s performance was a tribute to the women of the Black Panther Party and called out police brutality. This upset many, such as the former New York City mayor, Rudy Giuliani. “This is football, not Hollywood,” Giuliani told FOX News. “I thought it was really outrageous that (Beyonce) used it as a platform to attack police officers, who are the people who protect her, and protect us, and keep us alive.”

On the other side of the controversial issue, many people believed the show was one for the books. “I thought all of the events taking place during the halftime show made it easy for viewers to find something they liked,” said Canfield. “What made it better was probably all of the surprise guests.”