Filed under Showcase, Sports

JV basketball teams kiss the rim

The team huddles around their coach in order to get updated on new strategies.

Matthew Hermerding

Sophomore Alexis Parks runs down the court as she attempts to guard the ball from a McLean player.

The JV basketball teams here at the school have increased the duration and intensity levels of their practices in order to build skills this season which began around mid-November. Both boys and girls teams have worked on forming effective strategies for winning games and making improvements during practice. “What I find to be really helpful when preparing for big games, or just games in general, would have to be warm-ups,” sophomore Jabari Johnson said. “Warm-ups actually help warm up a player’s skills and help to prepare for a game. Not only that, but you get to watch the opposing team do their warm ups as well and so you can kind of get a feel for what you’re going up against.”

One way that teams increase their chances of winning is to have an effective practice schedule and techniques that can be used to enhance a player’s ability. A common way that sports teams (no matter the sporting event that athletes participate in) are able to achieve or gain skills would be through warm-ups. “I really love the sport, and I think you have to love basketball and be dedicated to it in order to give 100% not just at the games but also at practice,” sophomore Monique Vaz said. “I’m proud of the team this season because I know that no matter what happens or what the numbers on the scoreboard say that we all are giving it our all and having fun. That is all that matters.”

Both teams have a lot of practices scheduled, especially as the Yorktown game comes up. This long-time school rivalry has been the reason why these players are working as hard as they have been during games and practices. “I really feel motivated to do well, especially since our game against the school, Yorktown, is highly watched by many students,” sophomore Isaac Bendon said. “On top of that, if you play well, it really makes the entire team feel great. It means that all of the work we put in during practices is paying off.”

The rivalry between the school and Yorktown has fueled both of the JV teams to work hard throughout the season. In fact, the teams have a unique way to prepare for the rivalry games. “We [the team] definitely take our Yorktown practices very seriously, not saying we don’t normally, but the atmosphere is just different,” Vaz said. “We condition more which includes tons of running. We also work on our ball handling skills, the team and I always put our all into those practices.”