Filed under Style, Top Stories

The Vampire Diaries

The cast of The Vampire Diaries

The cast of The Vampire Diaries

courtesy of thevampirediariesonline.com

courtesy of thevampirediariesonline.com

The cast of The Vampire Diaries

The supernatural drama, The Vampire Diaries, season seven premiere aired last Thursday on the CW. This is the first season that does not feature Elena Gilbert, played by Nina Dobrev, following her departure last season. Last season ended with Elena saying goodbye to her love interest Damon Salvatore, played by Ian Somerhalder. It is known throughout social media that the farewells to her were heartbreaking. Nina on numerous occasions had posted pictures of her and cast members hugging it out with tear-stained faces. When speaking to US Weekly Magazine on the subject, creator Julie Plec said, “Of course it is bittersweet [to be here without Nina.]”

The season opener contained many twists including the arrival of the Heretics, vampire-witch hybrids, to Mystic Falls led by Damon and Stefan’s mother, Lily. “Elena is not dead; she is instead in a coffin for the next 60-70 years until her best friend, Bonnie Bennett, to whom she is supernaturally linked, eventually dies and her presence is still felt [this] season,” Plec said.

Kat Graham, who plays Bonnie agrees with Plec saying, “I thought it was a really clever way to keep Elena’s presence there. It keeps a door open in a lot of ways for her to return to the show,” which due to teasers seems like will happen further along in the show.

The season begins three years in the future and viewers see a wounded Stefan looking for his brother Damon for help. Since Damon has chosen to sleep until Elena is freed because he misses her, Stefan has to force feed him blood in order to wake him up. It is rumored that in the second episode there will be major changes in the two men’s lives.

Characters such as Stefan and Bonnie are worried about Damon’s safety since, in the last episode, Lily had vowed to avenge the death of a family member, who Damon, with the help of others, had murdered. According to a Vampire Diaries fan page, The Vampire Diaries Guide, “Lily remains one step ahead and carries out a harsh plan that hits Damon where it hurts most.”

Almost everyday, there have been teasers for future shows to be aired other than episode two. One of the more recent teasers came from the official Vampire Diaries (@vampirediaries) Twitter account including an image of Damon and Bonnie tagged with the caption “Official Spoilers for #TVD 7×03.” The pair looked to be having a serious conversation at the time the picture was snapped. Fans are left wondering if this could mean a budding relationship on the show between the two.

This series contains numerous twists and turns, but it seems as if fans will just have to wait to see the rest of the season to understand what truly is happening. All the fans can do now is wonder if the next episode will contain more answers or create more questions.