Filed under Style, Top Stories

The age of grunge

pc: seatgenie.com

pc: seatgenie.com

Trends among teenagers throughout America spread faster than wildfire. One of the more popular fads that began in late 2015 was the “grunge phase.” The phase currently taking place is like a modern twist on 80’s music, style and way of life. “I really like taking part in the grunge trend,” freshmen Clara Helms said. “I usually don’t like participating in popular trends, but I’ve met some incredible people due to our shared interests.”

The grunge lifestyle revolves around one thing; music type. Artists like Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Pink Floyd seem to be making a comeback due to their increased popularity amongst teens in general. Many people, such as freshmen Greta Engel, feel that older music holds more meaning then the over played electronic music produced today. “Music is a way to express yourself without actually saying anything,” Engel said. “The lyrics seem to shine a light on the truth and reality, instead of sugar coating everything like the music today does so well.”

One of the most well known bands from the actual grunge age is Guns N’ Roses. Guns N’ Roses has made its way back into the music scene by touring again. The two members, Slash and Axl Rose, had recently decided on doing a reunion tour in 2016. Even though there will only be two of the original members taking part in the tour, it still has gained a lot of attention. Due to their popularity back in the 80’s and 90’s, a lot of young people today who are interested in rock music listen to them. “Guns N’ Roses is one of the best bands that America has ever produced,” Engel said. “since I was a baby when Guns N’ Roses stopped touring, so this would be such a cool life experience to see such a legendary band perform.”

The grunge fad has been influential in more ways than one. Not only are the older bands becoming idols for newer artists starting off their musical careers, but this trend is also responsible for forming new friendships through shared interests. “I like how I can wear a band shirt to school and if someone is into the same band I am, we are easily able to strike up conversation,” Helms said. “I think people underestimate the power of music and how it brings people from all over together.”