Filed under Galleries, Top Stories

Peaceful protests

On Friday, April 15, students from all grade levels participated in a peaceful protest for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.  The students participating in this event wore stickers that represented an oath of silence for the entire day. Students stay silent in order to show their support for other students who may get bullied or cannot speak up for themselves. We asked a few students what their thoughts were on this topic.

“I think that standing by your fellow students and sticking up for such an important cause is really amazing,” freshman Greta Engel said.

“Seeing how many people actually care and take action against bullying in general, is incredibly powerful,” freshman Clara Helms said.

“The peaceful protest that happened today was very moving,” freshman Steven Page said. “I hope that after this event fellow students that are part of the LGBT community will feel safer and more comfortable not just with themselves but attending school.”

“It’s beautiful to see the support students show for a topic that many people tend to avoid,” freshman Cristina Samaniego said. “Especially when those same students may not even know anyone who has suffered bullying because of their sexuality.”

“It really means a lot to see how many people are supportive of the LGBT community,” said a student who wished to remain anonymous. “I cannot begin to describe how much it moves me to know that there are people out there who care, and I wish that when I first came out that this was the support I saw.”

“I think that this is a great opportunity for students to understand the effect of their words,” said a student that wished to be anonymous. “Sometimes they say things that may not affect them, but affect others that surround them. For example, when people use ‘that’s gay’ as an insult, needs to re-think their word choice.”