Filed under News, Top Stories

Rehearsals for the school musical begin

An image from a previous production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Courtesy of: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwgreen/7918683546

The cast of this year’s annual school musical How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying have begun rehearsing for their performances, which will be taking place this February in the auditorium. The play, often dubbed How to Succeed, tells the story of J. Pierrepont Finch and his journey from working as a window washer to becoming an executive at the World Wide Wicket Company. The play comedically hints at themes of sexism in the workplace, as well as subjects of ambition and success.

Theatre teacher Mr. Keith Cassidy is the director of the show; he gives the actors blocking and helps the performers with acting technique. The musical features many prominent male roles as it portrays life in the office during the early 1960s. “We’re mocking the sexism of the time: all the men are executives and all the women are secretaries,” Cassidy said. “[Our production] is making a joke out of that.”

This year’s cast consists of a wide array of dancers, singers and actors from the school. The actors are divided into two groups, dancing ensemble and chorus ensemble, based on their strengths shown in auditions.

Expectations are high for this group of students. “I think [the cast] is musically one of the strongest casts we’ve ever had,” music director and choir teacher Ms. Theresa Severin said. “I remember doing [How to Succeed] eleven years ago, and we didn’t nearly have enough boys. It suffered not having a balance [between boys and girls].” This year’s show has more boys than the previous production.

The production is heavily involved, requiring organization of not only the cast, but also of the set, lighting and sound designers. “I’m here to keep the organization of the production running smoothly,” stage manager Maddie McQuade said. As a senior, this will be McQuade’s final musical with the school. She was also stage manager for last year’s shows. “It’s going to be really interesting to see the final product after nearly four months to rehearse.

Rehearsals for How to Succeed began two weeks ago, and the performance is quickly approaching. “I love this show,” Ms. Severin said. “I think the music is fun, and I don’t think it gets as much respect as it deserves. It’s pure classic old school musical comedy.”