Filed under News, Showcase

A closer look at climate change

People in our community can maintain Arlington's beautiful spring weather by doing the little things every day.

Over the past decade, Northern Virginia has experienced a significant increase in its climate. Scientists around the world believe that this will continue to get worse unless strong action is taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions around the state. Climate change can have many negative outcomes including an increase or decrease in precipitation, confused plants and animals, and reduced air quality. Earth Day is the day to recognize problems like these around the world and learn what we can do to make the world a cleaner place.

Students at our school have definitely noticed the climate changes, especially in the last few winters. This past winter most schools in the area only had 1-2 snow days. “It has been very up and down as well as being unpredictable in the past few years,” freshman Harry Cantor said. ”I like it in the spring but can’t stand it in the winter. Snow days are, or should I say were, my life.”

A common theory is that within the next 50 years, the DC Maryland Virginia (DMV) area, and many other parts of the world, will eventually reach climate tipping points, meaning that the environment will change to that of a much different place from how it has been for the last 200 years. In the Northern Hemisphere the last 30 years have been the warmest for 1,400 years.

In light of the recent Earth Day and Climate March, the community can do their part by reducing electricity use, walking or biking more often, using resources efficiently and recycling.  “People can use less water and electricity,” freshman Hannah Callen said. ”Simply turning off the lights or sinks when you don’t need them can save a lot of energy.”

The next time someone or something promoting helping the environment, take it seriously because they can make a difference and make the world safer for all of us. “Doing something as simple as picking up trash after yourself and others makes can really help out,” sophomore Joe Main said. “It’s really easy, takes almost time and makes our environment cleaner.