Giving thanks assembly style

Members of the chamber orchestra perform at this year's Thanksgiving assembly. The annual performance is organized by the Student Council Association (SCA).

The Student Council Association’s (SCA) annual Thanksgiving assembly was held on Tuesday, November 21, in the auditorium. The assembly, which took many weeks of planning and preparation, showcased performances by the school’s music groups including the jazz band, the chamber orchestra, and the Madrigal singers, and featured speeches from students and faculty members.

Senior and SCA president Alex Pascocello was the event’s master of ceremonies, introducing each act and speaker before they performed. As the president of the SCA, it was up to Pascocello to lead the organization and preparations for the assembly. “There’s a lot of planning that goes into the Thanksgiving assembly,” he said. “We have to contact all the music departments to know how long their performances will take, and we have to make sure all the preparation is done a few weeks ahead of time so that the administration can check it over.”

One major component of the assembly was the Thanksgiving video, which was produced by SCA members. The video was comprised of interviews with students of all grades answering questions about what they were thankful for and about their Thanksgiving traditions. Junior and SCA member Liza Harold was on the committee that created the film this year. “I was really proud of the work we did on the video,” she said. “It was the highlight of the assembly for me.”

Senior and Madrigals singer Grace Fisher was a performer in the assembly. The Madrigals singers performed the piece “Circa Mea,” a song about love and passion written in Latin. “It was such a fun experience to be able to perform in front of my peers,” Fisher said. “This specific concert was cool because from backstage I was able to hear the concert choir performing before us. The assembly made me realize how thankful I was for the amazing school I go to and for all the opportunities that have been presented to me over the years.”

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, the assembly offered students a chance to think about and express what they were thankful for. “I’m thankful for friends and family,” Pascocello said. “I’m also thankful for the wonderful SCA members who worked really hard for the assembly.”