Filed under Showcase, Style, Top Stories

Snow school, snow problem

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

As Winter Break approaches, families are confronted with the question of what to do with the eight days of vacation from school. While many students travel to see family, some students remain in Arlington. Even if students are not traveling, there are many activities both in Washington, D.C. and the county to keep students occupied during time off.

One thing students could do is get out and appreciate the free time. While you could always stay home and sleep late, there are many relaxing and low effort things to do. Driving around your neighborhood and looking at the holiday lights and decorations is a popular winter activity. You could also go out and get hot chocolate, or see a movie and have something to eat with your friends. “Of course everyone needs relaxation time, but do something fun!” junior Karuna Sinha said. “Go to a movie with friends or if it snows, build a snowman.”

Another popular activity during the winter season is ice skating. There are many locations to choose from in both the district and in Arlington, from the rink at the Tysons Corner Mall to the Kettler Capitals Iceplex at the mall in Ballston. However, students looking for a more unique ice skating option are not out of luck. “I like to go ice skating at the Botanical [Sculpture] Gardens!” sophomore Abigail Martinage said. “Seeing all the flora in the garden is so refreshing in the winter, and there’s something so quintessentially wintry about ice skating.”

Other activities include visiting the National Christmas Tree on the Ellipse, taking a holiday tour of Mount Vernon by candlelight, or seeing a show in the district. ICE! Has also returned to the Gaylord National Resort at National Harbor. Visitors are able to walk through 5,000 pounds of ice carved to look like scenes and characters from the movie Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Tickets for guests aged 12 and older are available for sale for $28.

With over a week off from school for the winter holidays, students have the opportunity to take part in one or more of these activities. “Don’t just waste your time not being productive,” Sinha said. “I know I definitely hate it when I just laze around all break because then I have nothing to remember it by.”