Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Boston Strong

Runners start the 117th running of the Boston Marathon, in Hopkinton, Mass., Monday, April 15, 2013. (AP Photo/Stew Milne)

AP

AP

On April 15, 2013 at 2:49 p.m., a bomb exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Just 12 seconds later, a second bomb went off. After the three day manhunt to find Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the city went into recovery mode.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older brother, was killed by Dzhokhar the day of the bombing. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found in a resident’s boat in Watertown, Massachusetts on April 19. As a result of the bombing and manhunt, four people were killed. This included three people at the sight of the bomb and a police officer shot by Tsarnaev. However, the injury rate was much higher. Approximately 264 civilians were injured from the initial bombing, many of whom lost limbs. After the bombs detonated, many people ran away from the blast while few ran towards it to save others.

When the whole situation of finding the bomber was over, the city attempted to go back to normal. On April 19, the Boston Red Sox and Bruins games were postponed to support efforts of law enforcement. The Red Sox game on April 20, just a day after Tsarnaev was found, was an emotional day. That day, the Red Sox wore their home white jerseys, but instead of them saying “Red Sox,” the jerseys read “Boston.” This symbolized the team’s unity with their city.

David Ortiz, the designated hitter, gave a speech before the game to the city of Boston. His memorable line, “this is our [expletive] city,” led to many tears in the crowd. A marathon bombing victim, Steven Byrne and marathon runners, Dick and Rick Hoyt threw out the first pitch to Ortiz.

Along with the speech and the special jerseys, the Red Sox put a large “Boston Strong” on the Green Monster, as well as cutting the “Boston Strong” logo into the outfield grass. The cut grass stayed on the field throughout the season, and the logo on the Green Monster is still there today.

Nowadays, the bombing incident is still remembered. It has been two years, but the memory is still fresh in everyone’s mind. On April 15, the Red Sox honored the victims of the bombing during their one nighttime game against the Baltimore Orioles. At 2:49 p.m., exactly two years after the bombs went off, the game stopped for a moment of silence.

On April 8, Tsarnaev was found guilty on all 30 accounts he was charged for in accordance with the bombing and the manhunt. This included the use of a weapon of mass destruction, conspiracy to bomb a public place with deaths and eight separate charges related to the bombs themselves. Out of the 30 charges, 17 of them carried the death penalty.

The Boston Marathon took place on the following Monday, April 20. Ever since the 2013 marathon, there have been some changes for security reasons to ensure the safety of the runners and the viewers of the event. This includes smaller crowds along runners’ paths, random bag searches, larger medical teams and increased police presence. The winner of the 2015 race, Lelisa Desisa, also won the 2013 race. In 2013, he gave his gold medal to the city of Boston after the attack.

The winner of the wheelchair race, Tatyana McFadden, gave her gold laurel wreath (what you get when you win), to the family of an eight-year-old boy, Martin Richard, who was killed in the 2013 bombing. The Richard’s family sees McFadden as an inspiration to all runners, even if they are disabled.

In addition to the heightened security measures across Boston, the events at the 2013 Boston Marathon also brought unity among the residents of the city. As Ortiz said in his speech at Fenway Park, “This is our [expletive] city, and nobody’s going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”